Single innovations can lead to significant business advantages. However, integrating multiple technologies, like Dell PowerVault MD storage and PowerEdge servers, can yield even more outstanding results like business agility, improved efficiency, and a competitive edge. At Dell Technologies, they call this approach 'better together.'
Dell PowerEdge Servers
Dell Technologies' latest generation of PowerEdge servers is built to support today's transformational workloads like AI, HPC, virtualization, and more. With the Dell OpenManage systems management portfolio, users can handle anything from server discovery to deployment and monitoring. In addition, PowerEdge employs some of the latest security technologies like silicon Root of Trust and firmware and boot protection. Finally, these servers offer advanced cooling options and telemetry tools to make your data center as sustainable as ever.
Dell PowerVault MD Storage
Dell Technologies unveiled its next generation of PowerVault MD storage systems to complement its PowerEdge servers. These systems directly connect to both previous and new generations of PowerEdge servers, providing additional storage capacity to meet the growing needs of server applications. The latest storage enclosures come in different PowerVault models, such as:
MD2412 - dense, low-cost storage with 2.1PB max capacity
MD2424 - performance-optimized with 4.2PB max capacity
MD2460 - high-density storage with 4.8PB max capacity
Moreover, these systems are future-proofed with support for emerging technologies like SAS4 24Gb and PERC, ensuring long-lasting value.
The Advantages of Combining PowerVault MD Storage with PowerEdge Servers
While powerful individually, the most significant advantages come from combining PowerEdge and PowerVault MD, including:
- **Simplified Server Upgrades**- With attached storage, servers no longer require upgrades to increase storage capacity. As a result, servers can be upgraded or replaced without disrupting business data, and clients can invest only in the upgrades they need when they need them.
- **Validated Configurations for Easy Deployment**- PowerEdge servers and PowerVault MD storage offer easier, faster, and lower-cost deployment to support high-value server workloads. Dell Technologies has validated server and storage configurations, including host OS software, RAID hardware, and network components. They also provide best practice guides to help you start small and scale as your business grows.
- **Maximum Storage Scalability**- PowerVault MD simplifies the challenges of expanding server capacity and ensures business applications have fast access to data. You can choose from the three JBOD models mentioned above, offering capacities of up to 4.82 PB.
- **Modern Data Protection**- PowerEdge servers offer flexible data protection (RAID) with cost-effective options. You can choose between hardware RAID or software RAID, where no storage controller is required to lower costs. These options are crucial for organizations' data protection and disaster recovery strategies, supporting primary data protection for applications, files, and databases.
- **Flexible Workload Capacity**- MD Series provides the scalability and density to support PowerEdge servers running various applications. Some of these include:
- test/dev environments
- edge workloads
- business and web applications
- backup operations
- **Improved Connectivity**- To address the increasing computational workloads and storage traffic demands across industries, PowerEdge and PowerVault directly attach using 24Gb SAS4 with 12Gb auto-sensing. Most of the back-end connectivity is done using 12Gb SAS, except for the[MD2424 model,](https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/servers-storage-and-networking/new-powervault-md2424/spd/storage-mdseries/dell_md2424)which has a 24Gb internal bus architecture supporting 24Gb SSDs, thus allowing for 24Gb backend connectivity.
- **Greater Overall Simplicity**- As mentioned, running separate compute and storage systems allows for easier upgrades to PowerEdge servers (like for CPU and memory) or additional PowerVault storage capacity as application data grows. This approach also provides a simplified single pane of glass management using iDRAC or SHMCLI for server and storage systems. Other benefits include:
- faster repairs because components can be isolated
- simplified monitoring thanks to a single unified view
- accelerated new deployments
- enhanced the end-user experience
- Business Benefits- Today's organizations are challenged to store, process, and access more data than ever for reporting and analysis. The combination of PowerEdge servers and PowerVault MD storage helps businesses access business data rapidly, reducing the cost of high-performance computing and dense storage capacity.
To Experience Dell's 'Better Together' Advantage, Consult UNICOM Engineering
The combination of Dell PowerVault MD storage with PowerEdge servers offers immediate value and benefits for growing organizations. The question is, how can you best design and deploy the ideal configuration for your organization?
UNICOM Engineering is proud to be recognized as a Dell Technologies Titanium OEM Partner and the Dell Technologies OEM Partner of the Year for the fourth time in five years. Our team has vast experience helping innovative technology solution providers across the globe optimize the performance of their solutions with our unparalleled access to the latest Dell Technologies solutions and deep relationships with the manufacturer's product and engineering teams.