Transitioning to Next-Gen Haswell Microarchitecture
In our three-part guide to the transition, we have so far covered the new capabilities of Haswell/Broadwell (Part 1) in addition to understanding the importance of Intel's "Tick, Tock" product release strategy (Part 2). This final post will focus exclusively on what software developers can do to keep pace with their market in light of these current and ongoing developments.
Specifically, looking for a knowledgeable value-added system integrator and deployment partner who offers guidance on how to best develop products with new Haswell/Broadwell capabilities in mind. Such a partner can provide a "shortcut" through the arduous trial-and-error process often needed to ensure compatibility with new CPU demands and critical features. This partner could also suggest bringing the product to market in a stable, widely appealing appliance format. Finally, they can provide design engineering, system integration, logistics, and global support. As part of the process, they should manage the entire lifecycle of the product, and all that needs to happen at each stage.
In other words, utilizing a value-added system integrator and deployment partner such as UNICOM Engineering helps an ISV not only adjust to the demands of new CPU architecture but also exceed customer expectations and optimize profitability at the same time.
Having an Intel IoT Alliance Partner in Your Corner
Partners like UNICOM Engineering work closely with Intel to ensure we can assist our customers as products become available. We can provide production-grade, ready-to-deploy test platforms for evaluating your software's performance on Haswell architecture.
We can also design hardware solutions across your portfolio that leverage the latest Intel offers to maximize your solutions' performance. For instance, clients who wish to provide a range of application performance tied to tiered price points can do so more adeptly with our expertise. This guidance can inform long-term technology investment decisions for our clients and their clients.
UNICOM Engineering's 8 Steps to Guaranteed Success
Transitioning to new technology can be a challenging endeavor. A methodical and comprehensive approach can guarantee success while saving valuable time, money, and resources. UNICOM Engineering employs the following approach, accommodating even the most technical requirements.
- Engagement - We discuss the scope of your product and your intended value proposition to customers.
- Evaluation & Initial Development - Project requirements are determined based on the best fit for your intended product and branding goals. An evaluation unit is produced.
- Feedback & Revisions - Testing and review of evaluation unit: your feedback informs changes leading to closer-fit unit iterations; all expectations and requirements are met.
- Validation - Confirmation that all solution components are ready to move forward.
- First Article Acceptance - An initial production unit is created, and final feedback is received.
- Production Release - Final checks and tests are performed to ensure the production unit is ready for General Availability (GA) release and launch.
- General Availability - Production units are shipped. Further checks are performed, confirming the quality of all deliverables. A service/support model is implemented if needed.
- End of Life - As components and products reach their end of life, we determine replacement options for retired products. We also inform our clients as new architectures emerge for their next-gen solutions.
Throughout the process, we recommend considering the following aspects of the complete solution to ensure deliverability wherever your product takes you - domestically and beyond.
- Creating test parameters and benchmarks to evaluate performance better
- Branding considerations to deliver a cohesive experience right out of the box
- Software imaging development to ensure repeatability and stability during mass production, release
- Regulatory compliance and industry standardization considerations
- Global manufacturing capabilities to address scalability requirements
- Quality assurance oversight to ensure predictable, repeatable platform performance
- Trade compliance documentation that helps your product penetrate even the most remote markets
- Support and maintenance service models that add value to customer experience while introducing additional revenue streams
- Global Forward Stocking Locations (FSLs) that increase the speed of service and ensure swift field issue resolution
- Lifecycle management programs that protect long-term investment in product lifespan while preparing for eventual obsolescence and replacement
Your Next Steps to Haswell
While not everyone will need comprehensive guidance or consulting, those who take advantage of a deployment partner stand to reduce development costs while accelerating their time to market greatly. They also gain key insights into the long-term management of their product, including the creation of adaptable price-point models or eventual product retirement. These benefits are had while developing up-to-the-minute solutions utilizing Haswell's cutting-edge capabilities.
Let UNICOM Engineering help you realize these goals while helping you conserve the resources needed for your company's other projects. You focus on innovation and sales, and we'll handle the rest.
Want to Learn More?
Download our FREE "Streamlining the Transition to New Intel Microarchitecture" whitepaper. Or visit our application deployment solution design page.